Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Correction

I've been meaning to get to this.

In my post about three excuses for female objectification that don't hold up, I made some pretty bold claims.

Sex is a cooperative, collaborative and consensual activity between two or more sticky people undertaken for the orgasmic benefit of all involved.
[Sex is] a fun social activity (2 to infinity players, ages 18 and up.)

I illustrated things with this picture:




And I'm fucking wrong, aren't I?

Not that I'm doing the fucking wrong, I mean... I am fucking wrong about fucking... Like a non-sexual fuck about sexual fuck... You get it.

Let's break it down.

First of all, Past Me, who made you the arbiter on what sex is and isn't? I suspect, Past Me, that in your zeal to make a point about sexual objectification, you overstepped your bounds and trampled all over the sexual experiences, preferences and identities of people who experience sex different from how you experience sex.

Cooperative, collaborative and consensual, sure. Two or more people? No. You can have sex, a sexual experience, on your own just fine. You do it all the time, Past Me. For shame.

Orgasmic? Sure, it's a fun word to use, but like you pointed out, language matters. Sex isn't sex unless there's an orgasm involved? No. You are dead wrong.

Ages 18 and up? Check the goddamn age of consent laws worldwide. Don't pretend your own countries' laws are the only ones that matter, and don't pretend like the law is always just.

And Past Me, I know what you were thinking when you made that image. It's a visual joke that gets the point across, har har, and you knew it was wrong when you made it. You posted it anyway. Because you were too damn lazy to find a picture that accurately represents all your fellow human beings, and too privileged to realize that no such picture can even exist.

Implying that that is what all sex looks like, that this is what sex is, is wrong for so very many reasons.

All "Past Me" cuteness aside, I want to offer my sincere apologies to all the (many, many) people whom I alienated and made invisible. I am sorry for discounting your sexual experiences. I did it out of laziness and privilege and I am deeply sorry and ashamed. I will make it a top priority to correct my thinking, my behavior and my language in the future.

Again, I'm deeply sorry for the misinformation and the hurt I put out there.

a fun social activity (2 to infinity players, ages 18 and up.) - See more at: http://trashyinpink.blogspot.be/2014/06/3-excuses-for-objectification-that-dont.html#sthash.zMTTkOmS.dpuf
Sex is a cooperative, collaborative and consensual activity between two or more sticky people undertaken for the orgasmic benefit of all involved. Objectification, on the other hand, is not. - See more at: http://trashyinpink.blogspot.be/2014/06/3-excuses-for-objectification-that-dont.html#sthash.zMTTkOmS.dpuf
Sex is a cooperative, collaborative and consensual activity between two or more sticky people undertaken for the orgasmic benefit of all involved. Objectification, on the other hand, is not. - See more at: http://trashyinpink.blogspot.be/2014/06/3-excuses-for-objectification-that-dont.html#sthash.zMTTkOmS.dpuf
t>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...